Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $67.00Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by wordery
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $41.06Free postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by countryhouselibrary
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is t your typical introduction to the New Testament. Rather, Bellinzoni invites the reader to understand how biblical scholars employ the historical method to understand better who Jesus of Nazareth really was and how and why oral and then written tradition about Jesus developed into the New Testament. Instead of simply summarizing the results of biblical scholarship, Bellinzoni discusses the rules of evidence and the tools of the historical method that scholars use. He then approaches the text of the New Testament by leading the reader step by step through relevant biblical texts in order to illustrate some of the tools of New Testament study and how these tools work: textual criticism, literary criticism and philology, source criticism, form criticism, redaction criticism, etc. This volume doesn't just describe the conclusions of biblical scholarship; it invites the reader to actually do biblical scholarship and thereby draw the best possible conclusions about what happened, when, and why. This volume is t limited to the twenty-seven books of the New Testament, but discusses relevant extra-canical early Christian literature, which is critical to an understanding of the history of the early church and the development of the New Testament can. This wide-ranging study is really two books in one: it outlines the methodological tools used in the critical study of the New Testament, and shows how their careful application can yield an historically sensitive reconstruction of Christian origins. For introductory students seeking to navigate the complex literary and social terrain of the New Testament and early Christian world, Bellinzoni's reasoned judgments and lucid insights will be a very welcome guide. --David Reis, Visiting Assistant Professor, University of Oregon Arthur Bellinzoni is Professor of Religion Emeritus at Wells College in Aurora, New York and the author of The Sayings of Jesus in the Writings of Justin Martyr, The Future of Christianity: Can It Survive? and The Old Testament: An Introduction to Biblical Scholarship; the co-editor and part author of Intellectual Honesty and Religious Commitment and The Two-Source Hypothesis: A Critical Appraisal, and the editor of The Influence of the Gospel of Saint Matthew on Christian Literature Before Saint Irenaeus (3 volumes).
- Author(s)Arthur J Bellinzoni
- PublisherWipf & Stock Publishers
- Date of Publication10/02/2016
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWipf & Stock Publishers
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight885 g
- Width178 mm
- Height251 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $35.30Trending at AU $38.10
- AU $14.11Trending at AU $24.13
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.18
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.98
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.38
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.48
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.