All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe 1950s are enshrined in the popular imagination as the decade of poodle skirts and I Like Ike. But this was also a complex time, in which the afterglow of Total Victory firmly gave way to Cold War paraia. A sense of trepidation grew with the Suez Crisis and the H-bomb tests. At the same time, the fifties marked the cultural emergence of extraordinary new energies, like those of Thelonious Monk, Sylvia Plath and Tennessee Williams. The New Yorker was there in real time, chronicling the tensions and invations that lay beneath the era's placid surface. In this thrilling volume, classic works of reportage, criticism, and fiction are complemented by new contributions from the magazine's present all-star line-up of writers, including Jonathan Franzen, Malcolm Gladwell, and Jill Lepore. Here are indelible accounts of the decade's most exciting players: Truman Capote on Marlon Brando as a pampered young star; Berton Roueche on Jackson Pollock in his first flush of fame. Ernest Hemingway, Emily Post, Bobby Fischer, and Leonard Bernstein are also brought to vivid life in these pages. Among the audacious young writers who began publishing in the fifties was one who would become a stalwart for the magazine for fifty-five years: John Updike. Also featured here are great early works from Philip Roth and Nadine Gordimer, as well as startling poems by Theodore Roethke and Anne Sexton. Completing the paply are insightful and entertaining new pieces by present day New Yorker contributors examining the 1950s through contemporary eyes.
- Author BiographyThe New Yorker magazine began publishing in 1925, and has long established itself as a singular and singularly beloved institution in America's cultural firmament. With its offices located in New York, the magazine addresses a general-interest readership that is spread across the world, and includes more than a million loyal subscribers who are devoted to the magazine's originality, verve, integrity and wit.
- Author(s)The New Yorker Magazine
- Date of Publication29/10/2015
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintWilliam Heinemann Ltd
- Weight1077 g
- Width162 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine47 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.15
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.64
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.68
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.42
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.63
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $89.41
- AU $86.99Trending at AU $97.42
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.