All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn inside account of the fight to contain the world's deadliest diseases--and the panic and corruption that make them worse Throughout history, humankind's biggest killers have been infectious diseases: the Black Death, the Spanish Flu, and AIDS alone account for over one hundred million deaths. We igre this reality most of the time, but when a new threat--Ebola, SARS, Zika--seems imminent, we send our best and bravest doctors to contain it. People like Dr. Ali S. Khan. In his long career as a public health first responder-protected by a thin mask from infected patients, napping under nets to keep out scorpions, making life-and-death decisions on limited, suspect information-Khan has found that rogue microbes will always be a problem, but outbreaks are often caused by people. We make mistakes, politicize emergencies, and, too often, fail to imagine the consequences of our actions. The Next Pandemic is a firsthand account of disasters like anthrax, bird flu, and others--and how we could do more to prevent their return. It is both a gripping story of our brushes with fate and an urgent lesson on how we can keep ourselves safe from the inevitable next pandemic.
- Author BiographyDr. Ali S. Khan is the former director of the Office of Public Health Preparedness and Response (PHPR) at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In more than 20 years at the CDC, his professional career has focused on emerging infectious diseases, bioterrorism, and global health security. In that position, he oversaw the national public health-security program with a 1.3 billion budget and 600 employees. The office is responsible for protecting US communities from all public-health threats. Now dean of the College of Public Health at the University of Nebraska, he lives in Omaha with his family.
- Author(s)Ali Khan
- PublisherThe Perseus Books Group
- Date of Publication09/06/2016
- SubjectFamily & Health: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content NoteTBD
- Weight508 g
- Width165 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.52
- AU $3.75Trending at AU $7.39
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.94
- AU $70.89Trending at AU $79.81
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.14
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.09
- AU $17.07Trending at AU $23.44
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.