All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA cookbook from the author of the popular website Nourished Kitchen, featuring over 160 recipes based on the traditional foods philosophy of eating, which emphasizes whole grains, dairy, red meat, organ meats, and fermented foods. The traditional foods movement is a fad-free approach to cooking and eating that emphasizes nutrient-dense, real food, and values quality, environment, and community over the convenience of processed, additive-laden products that are the rm on grocery store shelves. Based on the research of Weston A. Price, who studied the diets of indigeus peoples to understand the relationship between nutrition and health, a traditional foods diet avoids processed ingredients, but allows meat, animal fat, and grains. It embraces cultured dairy, suchas kefir and yogurt, that contain beneficial bacteria; fermented foods, such as sauerkraut and kombucha, that are rich in probiotics; and organ meats that are packed with vitamins and minerals. It also celebrates locally grown foods. By choosing ingredients from nearby sources, you create a stronger connection to your food, and have a better understanding what you re eating and how it was produced. In The Nourished Kitchen, Jennifer McGruther guides you through her traditional foods kitchen and offers more than 160 recipes inspired by the seasons, land, and waters around her. In the morning, fuel up withEggs Poached in Fiery Tomato Sauce. On a hot summer day, Cucumber Salad with Dill and Kefiris a cooling side dish, and on a chilly fall evening, Barley in Broth with Bacon and Kaleoffers comfort and warmth.Old-Fashioned Meat Loaf with Gravymakes a hearty family meal, whileChicken in Riesling with Peascan be the centerpiece of an elegant supper. Satisfy your sweet tooth withMaple-Roasted Pears, and quench your thirst with naturally fermentedVanilla Mint Soda. With the benefit of Jennifer s experience, you can craft a loaf ofWhole Wheat and Spelt Sourdough Breadand stock your kitchen withSpiced Sour Pickles with Garlic. The Nourished Kitchen t only teaches how to prepare wholesome, urishing foods, but also encourages a mindful approach cooking and a celebration of old-world culinary traditions that have sustained healthy people for millennia. Whether you re already a practitioner of the traditional foods lifestyle or simply trying toincorporate more natural, highly nutritious foods into your routine, you will find plenty to savor in The Nourished Kitchen.
- Author BiographyJENNIFER MCGRUTHER is a food educator and the author and creator of the award-winning traditional foods website, Nourished Kitchen (www.nourishedkitchen.com). She teaches workshops on traditional foods, fermentation, and food activism. Jennifer lives with her husband and son in the central mountains of Colorado where she and her husband started and managed a farmers market for seven years. Her work emphasizes traditional, from-scratch cooking with a focus on farm-to-table recipes.
- Author(s)Jennifer McGruther
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- Date of Publication06/05/2014
- SubjectHealth, Dieting & Wholefood Cookery
- Place of PublicationBerkeley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTen Speed Press
- Content Note150 colour photos
- Weight971 g
- Width189 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine26 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.76
- AU $15.64Trending at AU $18.73
- AU $24.98Trending at AU $25.11
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.59
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.82
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $46.93
- AU $24.80Trending at AU $28.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.