All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $35.33Trending at AU $43.95
- AU $65.99Trending at AU $74.58
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.70
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $84.13
- AU $12.60Trending at AU $17.01
- AU $15.41Trending at AU $19.73
- AU $16.67Trending at AU $22.38
About this product
- DescriptionIsabel Dalhousie is one of Edinburgh's most generous (but discreet) philanthropists - but should she be more charitable? She wonders, sometimes, if she is too judgmental about her niece's amorous exploits, too sharp about her housekeeper's spiritual beliefs, too ready to bristle in battle against her enemies. As the editor of the Review of Applied Ethics, she doesn't, of course, allow herself actual enemies, but she does feel enmity - especially towards two academics who have just arrived in the city. Isabel feels they're a highly destabilizing influence; little tremors in the volcanic rock upon which an Enlightened Edinburgh perches. Equally troubling is the situation of the little boy who is convinced he had a previous life. When Isabel is called upon to help, she finds herself questioning her views on reincarnation. And the nature of grief. And - crucially - the positioning of lighthouses. The only questions Isabel doesn't have to address concern her personal life. With her young son and devoted husband her home life is blissfully content. Which is the best possible launching pad for the next issue of the Review - the Happiness issue. As Isabel is beginning to appreciate, happiness, for most people, is t quite what it seems ...
- Author BiographyAlexander McCall Smith is the author of over eighty books on a wide array of subjects, including the award-winning The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency series. He is also the author of the Isabel Dalhousie novels and the world's longest-running serial novel, 44 Scotland Street. His books have been translated into forty-six languages. Alexander McCall Smith is Professor Emeritus of Medical Law at the University of Edinburgh and holds honorary doctorates from thirteen universities.
- Author(s)Alexander McCall Smith
- PublisherLittle, Brown Book Group
- Date of Publication02/04/2015
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleIsabel Dalhousie Novels
- Series Part/Volume Number40
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintLittle, Brown
- Weight572 g
- Width166 mm
- Height238 mm
- Spine27 mm
Most relevant reviews
- staceythebooklo...16 Jun, 2016by
Another great read from Alexander McCall Smith!
I love Alexander McCall Smith's books and this one is no exception. The story line is compelling and the writers style is just what I like to curl up with on a winters evening - Or any other time for that matter!!
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: Pre-owned