All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.88
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $14.45Trending at AU $21.10
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.07
- AU $35.37Trending at AU $37.41
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.81
About this product
- Description'Muse, tell me of a man: a man of much resource, who was made to wander far and long, after he had sacked the sacred city of Troy. Many were the men whose lands he saw and came to kw their thinking: many too the miseries at sea which he suffered in his heart, as he sought to win his own life and the safe return of his companions.' Recounting the epic journey home of Odysseus from the Trojan War, The Odyssey - alongside its sister poem The Iliad - stands as the well-spring of Western Civilisation and culture, an inspiration to poets, writers and thinkers for thousands of years since. This authoritative prose translation by Martin Hammond brings Homer's great poem of homecoming to life as Odysseus battles through such familiar dangers as the cave of the Cyclops, the call of the Sirens and his hostile reception back in his native land of Ithaca.
- Author BiographyHomer is known only as the author of the The Iliad and The Odyssey, the two epic poems of the Trojan War and its aftermath that mark the birth of Western culture. Nothing is known of his life. Martin Hammond was Head of Classics at Eton College, UK, and subsequently Master in College. Since 1990 he has been Headmaster of Tonbridge School, UK. He is the translator of the Penguin Classics edition of Homer's The Iliad.
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication22/05/2014
- Series TitleBloomsbury Revelations
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Academic
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight456 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Translated byMartin Hammond
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.