All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $56.35Trending at AU $60.64
- AU $19.09Trending at AU $26.10
- AU $74.28Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.55Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.87Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $47.17Trending at AU $59.70
About this product
- DescriptionA sailing trip along the proposed Northern Gateway marine route with a fresh new voice in n-fiction. With oil and gas behemoth Enbridge Inc.'s Northern Gateway proposal nearing approval, supertankers loaded with two million barrels of oil may soon be plying the waters from rthern British Columbia down the wild Pacific Coast. This region is home to the largest tract of temperate rainforest on earth, First Nations who have lived there for millennia, and some of the world's most biodiverse waters--one spill is all it will take to erase ten thousand years of evolution. Ar Kopecky and his companions travel aboard a forty-one-foot sailboat exploring the pristine route--a profoundly volatile marine environment that registered 1,275 marine vessel incidents--mechanical failures, collisions, explosions, groundings, and sinkings--between 1999 and 2009 alone. Neither Kopecky r the boat's owner have ever sailed before, yet they brave these waters alone when their captain leaves them part way through the journey. Written with Kopecky's quick humor and deft touch, this is a rich evocation of a mythic place and the ecology, culture, and history of a legendary region with a knife at its throat.
- Author BiographyArno Kopecky is a journalist and travel writer whose dispatches have appeared in The Walrus, Foreign Policy, the Globe and Mail, Maclean's, the Tyee, Kenya's Daily Nation and other publications. His work focuses on human rights, the environment, and globalization. Kopecky has covered civil uprisings in Mexico, cyclones in Burma, Iceland's attempt to become the first oil-free nation on earth, Zimbabwe's thirty-year dictatorship, and election violence in Kenya. He lives in Squamish, BC.
- Author(s)Arno Kopecky
- PublisherDouglas & McIntyre Publishing Group
- Date of Publication09/07/2013
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationVancouver
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintDouglas & McIntyre Publishing Group
- Content NoteB&W photos
- Weight428 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.