All listings for this product
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.52
- AU $32.89Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.32
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.67
- AU $44.12Trending at AU $51.80
- AU $41.91Trending at AU $52.43
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $33.00
About this product
- DescriptionNowadays, sports Mega-events - with the Olympic Games leading the way - go to immense effort to showcase their environmental credentials. With that in mind, this book compares and contrasts the environmental credentials of four Olympic Host cities starting with Sydney 2000, the host of the first Green Summer Olympics, and culminating with London 2012. Setting out a comparative cross-national study that makes extensive use of perspectives offered by environmental sociology, this book showcases the scientific analytical vigour of this sociological sub-discipline. Since in most cases, the linkages between hosting the Games and the environment that are made by the general public and policy-makers are mostly in relation to the regeneration of the host city, this book engages with this type of environmental related contributions that can be made by Olympic Games hosting. Yet, inspired by the emphasis that the International Olympic Committee (IOC) gives on the environmental impact and legacy of Games in terms of the Ecological Modernization (EM) perspective, the book engages with the potential imbued by Olympic Games hosting for the EM of the host nation.
- Author BiographyJOHN KARAMICHAS Lecturer in Sociology at Queen's University, Belfast, UK. He has recently published articles on environmental politics and policy in the Journal of Modern Greek Studies, South European Society and Politics, Mediterranean Politics, Human Ecology Review, and Environmental Politics. He has also published with Graeme Hayes, Olympics, Mega-Events and Civil Societies: Globalization, Environment, Resistance.
- Author(s)John Karamichas
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication11/01/2013
- SubjectGeneral Sport & Fitness Training
- Series TitleGlobal Culture and Sport Series
- Place of PublicationBasingstoke
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Note7 figures, 6 black & white tables
- Weight425 g
- Width144 mm
- Height223 mm
- Spine17 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.