All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMalaya 1951, a jungle resettlement camp: young colonial adventurer Christopher Milnar falls passionately in love with a Chinese nurse Evangeline - a fierce flame that ends in tragedy when their camp is attacked by Communist guerrillas and Christopher is violently beaten up. London: half a century later the ghosts of that time return to haunt Christopher, triggering vivid memories of colonial misconduct and lost love. Forced to confront his past, Christopher agonises over the fate of his beloved Evangeline and the disappearance of their daughter, Frances. Moving from present day London to the heart of the Malayan jungle in colonial times, The Orientalist and The Ghost is a stunning portrayal of human frailty and lost love.
- Author BiographySusan Barker was born in London in 1978 to a Chinese Malaysian mother and an English father. Aged twenty-five, she completed the acclaimed novel Sayonara Bar ('Funny, crisply written and engaging' Times), followed by The Orientalist and the Ghost ('Sharp and original' Guardian). While writing her third novel The Incarnations she spent several years living in Beijing, researching modern and ancient China. She is currently based in Shenzhen, China.
- Author(s)Susan Barker
- PublisherTransworld Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication23/04/2009
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBlack Swan
- Weight290 g
- Width128 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $70.99Trending at AU $78.63
- AU $65.99Trending at AU $71.23
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $114.18
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $84.73
- AU $70.94Trending at AU $76.35
- AU $12.63Trending at AU $18.69
- AU $16.67Trending at AU $22.47
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.