All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.09
- AU $46.37Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
About this product
- DescriptionThe theories propounded by Charles Darwin in The Origin of Species have had a profound and revolutionary effect, t only on biology but also on philosophy, history, and theology. His concept of natural selection has created eruptive disputes among scientists and religious leaders of his time and ours. The phemenal importance of his brilliant work is universally recognized, but the present volume marks the first scholarly attempt to compile a complete variorum edition of The Origin of Species, covering all of the extensive variants in the six texts published between 1859 and 1872. Darwin's changes were extensive. His book grew by a third as he rewrote many passages four or five times, and in this edition Morse Peckham has recorded every one of those changes. A book of such distinctive dimensions, on a subject of such profound importance, will be of intense interest to historians of biology, evolution, science, literature, and cultural development. It will be an invaluable aid to the clarification and full comprehension of this complex and rewned scientific classic.
- Author BiographyCharles Darwin (1809-1882) was the British naturalist who originated the theories of natural selection and evolution. Morse Peckham, Director of the University of Pennsylvania Press from 1953 to 1955, was Distinguished Professor of English and Comparative Literature at the University of South Carolina and author of many books, including Beyond the Tragic Vision and Explanation and Power: An Inquiry into the Control of Human Behavior.
- Author(s)Charles Darwin
- PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania Press
- Date of Publication01/05/2006
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Place of PublicationPennsylvania
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Pennsylvania Press
- Weight1129 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine40 mm
- Edited byMorse Peckham
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.