Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $168.00Trending at AU $183.03
- AU $64.99Trending at AU $70.92
- AU $10.36Trending at AU $12.77
- AU $23.66Trending at AU $25.41
- AU $34.18Trending at AU $36.92
- AU $31.75Trending at AU $37.28
- AU $28.90Trending at AU $35.37
About this product
- DescriptionThis book features kid-friendly stories, based on the classic Living Stories of the Cherokee .Cherokee people have lived in the Great Smoky Mountains for thousands of years. During all this time, they have told stories to each other to explain how things came to be, to pass on lessons about life, and to describe the mountains, animals, plants, and spirits around them. The Origin of the Milky Way and Other Living Stories of the Cherokee collects 26 stories that are great for kids and are still being told by storytellers today.Presented by members of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians in their own words, the stories appear in free-verse form, like poems on the page, so that if you read them aloud, you can hear the rhythm of the stories as they were originally told. Barbara R. Duncan provides a helpful introduction that describes Cherokee people's past and present ways of life and their storytelling traditions. The book also includes a glossary of key words from the stories, suggestions for further reading, and tes on the storytellers. Suitable for young readers, for parents to read aloud to young listeners, and for teachers and libraries, The Origin of the Milky Way provides an excellent introduction to Cherokee culture.
- Author BiographyBARBARA R. DUNCAN is education director at the Museum of the Cherokee Indian in Cherokee, North Carolina. She collected and edited the original Living Stories of the Cherokee and co-authored The Cherokee Heritage Trails Guidebook (both from the University of North Carolina Press). SHAN GOSHORN (Eastern Band Cherokee) is an award-winning artist and activist who lives and works in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
- PublisherThe University of North Carolina Press
- Date of Publication15/12/2008
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Series TitleCaravan Book
- Place of PublicationChapel Hill
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University of North Carolina Press
- Content Note14 illustrations, 1 map, glossary
- Weight204 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Edited byBarbara R. Duncan
- Illustrator(s)Shan Goshorn
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.