All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Original Australians tells the story of Australian Aboriginal history and society from its distant beginnings to the present day. From the wisdom and paintings of the Dreamtime, to the first contacts between Europeans and indigeus Australians, right through to modern times, it offers an insight into the life and experiences of the world's oldest culture. The resilience and adaptability of Aboriginal people over millennia is one of the great human stories of all time. Josephine Flood answers the questions about Aboriginal Australia that Australians and visitors often ask: Where did the Aborigines come from and when? How did they survive in such a harsh environment? What was the traditional role of Aboriginal women? Why didn't colonists sign treaties with Aboriginal people? Were Aboriginal children 'stolen'? Why are there so many problems in Aboriginal communities today? And many more. This rich account aims to understand both black and white perspectives and is fascinating reading for anyone who wants to discover Aboriginal Australia. 'Ather enthralling account by Josephine Flood, of Australian Aborigines! Her ensuring respect for her fellow humans underwrites every part of her exploration of the life and times of the Aboriginal people.'Pat O'Shane, Magistrate This is an up-to-the-minute and balanced account of Aboriginal experience from earliest prehistory to today. Clearly written and well-illustrated, this is the best book to give someone who wants to kw about Aborigines, their survival through the millennia, and the experiences they have to contribute to modern Australia.'Emeritus Professor Campbell Macknight, Australian National University
- Author BiographyDr Josephine Flood is a prominent archaeologist, recipient of the Centenary Medal and former director of the Aboriginal Heritage Section of the Australian Heritage Commission. She has published a number of books on Australian archaeology and history, including the influential Archaeology of the Dreamtime and The Riches of Ancient Australia.
- PrizesShortlisted for Prime Minister's Prize for Australian History 2007.
- Author(s)Josephine Flood
- PublisherAllen & Unwin
- Date of Publication01/08/2006
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationSt Leonards NSW
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintAllen & Unwin
- Content Note90 illustrations, (40 colour )
- Weight636 g
- Width172 mm
- Height245 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsMass market (rack) paperback
- Interest AgeFrom
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.88Trending at AU $23.68
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.52
- AU $32.89Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.32
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.67
- AU $44.12Trending at AU $51.80
- AU $41.91Trending at AU $52.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.