Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $50.64Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by grey_elk_books_au_and_uk
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $47.00+ postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by thebooksaver
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Consider these sponsored items
About this product
- DescriptionWhen Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm published their Children's and Household Tales in 1812, followed by a second volume in 1815, they had idea that such stories as Rapunzel, Hansel and Gretel, and Cinderella would become the most celebrated in the world. Yet few people today are familiar with the majority of tales from the two early volumes, since in the next four decades the Grimms would publish six other editions, each extensively revised in content and style. For the very first time, The Original Folk and Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm makes available in English all 156 stories from the 1812 and 1815 editions. These narrative gems, newly translated and brought together in one beautiful book, are accompanied by sumptuous new illustrations from award-winning artist Andrea Dezso. From The Frog King to The Golden Key, wondrous worlds unfold--heroes and heroines are rewarded, weaker animals triumph over the strong, and simple bumpkins prove themselves t so simple after all. Esteemed fairy tale scholar Jack Zipes offers accessible translations that retain the spare description and engaging storytelling style of the originals. Indeed, this is what makes the tales from the 1812 and 1815 editions unique--they reflect diverse voices, rooted in oral traditions, that are absent from the Grimms' later, more embellished collections of tales. Zipes's introduction gives important historical context, and the book includes the Grimms' prefaces and tes. A delight to read, The Original Folk and Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm presents these peerless stories to a whole new generation of readers.
- Author BiographyJack Zipes is the translator of The Complete Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm (Bantam), the editor of The Great Fairy Tale Tradition (Norton), and the author of Grimm Legacies (Princeton). He is professor emeritus of German and comparative literature at the University of Minnesota. Andrea Dezso is a visual artist who exhibits in museums and galleries worldwide and is associate professor of art at Hampshire College.
- PrizesShortlisted for Choice Magazine Outstanding Reference/Academic Book Award 2015.
- Author(s)Jacob Grimm,Wilhelm Grimm
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication04/11/2014
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight914 g
- Width152 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine43 mm
- Illustrator(s)Andrea Dezso
- Format DetailsRough front
Most relevant reviews
- 6698eva04 Apr, 2016by
Great, Loved it.
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $31.48Trending at AU $32.14
- AU $161.21Trending at AU $168.37
- AU $65.85Trending at AU $78.78
- AU $11.89Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $12.89Trending at AU $16.81
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $51.53
- AU $20.49Trending at AU $26.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.