All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe origins of the game of rugby and the codification of the rules which defined the game have been glorified in numerous legends, some of which are little more than sporting hagiography. Following on from the success of The Rules of Association Football 1863 and in time for the Rugby World Cup in September - October 2007, this book investigates the origins of the game of rugby and reproduces for the first time in a single book both the first rules of the game, drawn up at Rugby School in 1845 and the first rules of the Rugby Football Union, published in 1871. The introduction by Jed Smith, the curator of the Rugby Football Museum in Twickenham, will provide the first systematic exploration of the origin of the rules of the game and their development. Includes images from the unique manuscript held at the Rugby Football Union as well as nineteenth-century illustrations of the game as it was first played, capturing its early spirit and enthusiasm.
- Author BiographyJed Smith was formerly Curator of the Museum of Rugby, Twickenham.
- PublisherThe Bodleian Library
- Date of Publication01/09/2007
- SubjectBall Games: Field & Outdoor
- Series TitleOriginal Rules
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe Bodleian Library
- Content Note29 black & white illustrations
- Weight116 g
- Width100 mm
- Height155 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Introduction byJed Smith
- Foreword byMartin Johnson
- Format DetailsSewn,Paper over boards
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $132.35Trending at AU $140.31
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.52
- AU $32.92Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.32
- AU $30.89Trending at AU $32.08
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.67
- AU $44.12Trending at AU $51.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.