Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.79
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.88
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $20.47Trending at AU $21.66
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.81
- AU $30.45Trending at AU $51.50
About this product
- DescriptionDietrich starts from the premises that beliefs and their associated rites are inherently conservative and that, even where populations change, they tend to do so gradually, creating fusions rather than wholesale disruptions in ritual practice. An understanding of classical Greek religion thus, necessarily, depends on appreciation of its forerunners in the Bronze Age; and they, in turn, on evidence from the better documented religions of the Middle East. Dietrich's four main chapters deal first with those eastern links; then with the old traditions of Mian Crete; next with the interplay of pre-Greek Mian and Greek Mycenaean cultures; and finally he attempts to bridge the commonly assumed divide between bronze-age and archaic Greece.
- Author BiographyBernard C. Dietrich was Professor of Greek in the University of Wales, Aberystwyth.
- Author(s)B.C. Dietrich
- PublisherLiverpool University Press
- Date of Publication01/08/2004
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Series TitleBristol Phoenix Press Ignibus Paperbacks
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBristol Phoenix Press
- Weight481 g
- Width139 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine26 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.