All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionOn Saturday 8 September 1888, League Football kicked off. Twelve clubs had combined to play regular fixtures and the result was to revolutionise t only English football but virtually every nation and sport since then. Now, for the first time, the history of the Football League season 1888/89 is told in great depth, with reports on every match and profiles of all those who played - amateur and professional - during this thrilling historic season, in which Preston were 'invincible' and set the standards for other great teams to follow. Key players and their skills are highlighted. Doubts about who scored the first-ever League goal are ended. The standard of football, equipment used and the tactics adopted to win matches is analysed. Controversial incidents that paved the way for the introduction of the goal net and penalty kick are brought back to life. The clubs, their pitches and grounds - and the fans that filled them - are explored within the ecomic circumstances and developments of the era. The difficulties faced by reporters in ensuring they reported accurately the on-field events on the inaugural League season are also aired. Illustrated with contemporary photographs and newspaper cuttings, this is the story of the 1888/89 Football League season.
- Author BiographyMark Metcalf is a well-known and prolific sports writer with a speciality in pre-first world war football. He has written widely as a journalist, and is the author of Bright Red and The Golden Boot. He lives in West Yorkshire.
- Author(s)Mark Metcalf
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication15/07/2013
- SubjectBall Games: Field & Outdoor
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Out-of-print date21/01/2017
- Content Note32
- Weight363 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine19 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.