All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.82
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.86
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.95
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.10
- AU $24.91Trending at AU $28.23
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.31
About this product
- DescriptionTHIS BOOK WILL HELP YOU to appreciate the depth and beauty of the dominant form of Christianity in Greece, Russia and much of Eastern Europe to understand the tenets, nature and holy days of Orthodox belief to recognize the physical features of an Orthodox church, and the spiritual significance of icons to kw what to expect and how to conduct yourself during Orthodox services and ceremonies Orthodoxy is the dominant form of Christianity in Greece, Russia, parts of Eastern Europe and the Balkans. Its practices are largely unfamiliar in the West, and have remained essentially unchanged since the earliest days of the faith. This lucid introduction outlines the tenets, nature and holy days of Orthodox belief with the Western reader in mind. It describes the physical church, especially icons, services, and common practices, and offers advice to visitors on how to conduct themselves so that they are accepted and feel comfortable. Several chapters concern the life of Jesus and the beginnings of Christianity; others trace the origins and history of the Church, with particular attention to its great champion, Constantine the Great. The present structure of the Church is described in brief, and the split between the Eastern and the Western Churches is related with differences clearly explained. The great antiquity and beauty of its liturgy, its essentially minimal hierarchy and its mystical yet pragmatic approach make the Orthodox religion a powerful medium for its profound and universal message. This deceptively simple volume takes the reader on a journey to the heart of the Christian tradition. ACCESS THE WORLD S RELIGIONS Simple Guides: Religion is a series of concise, accessible introductions to the world s major religions. Written by experts in the field, they offer an engaging and sympathetic description of the key concepts, beliefs and practices of different faiths. Ideal for spiritual seekers and travellers alike, Simple Guides aims to open the doors of perception. Together the books provide a reliable compass to the world s great spiritual traditions, and a point of reference for further exploration and discovery. By offering essential insights into the core values, customs and beliefs of different societies, they also enable visitors to be aware of the cultural sensibilities of their hosts, and to behave in a way that fosters mutual respect and understanding.
- Author Biography<b>Katherine Clark</b> is a writer, editor and translator of German and Greek. After completing her MA at the University of Michigan, she spent a number of years teaching and writing in Greece, where she first encountered Orthodoxy. Following years of study and discussion with Orthodox monks, priests and laypersons, particularly in Greece but also in Jerusalem and at the monastery of St Catherine in Sinai, she converted to Greek Orthodoxy in 1987. She has studied Byzantine chant and has written and translated articles about Orthodoxy and Orthodox Churches. Ms Clark has taught languages and literature at universities and schools in the USA, Germanyand Greece, and was for thirteen years director of the Heidelberg branch of Schiller International University. Later employed with Greenpeace International in Amsterdam, she served as liaison to Greenpeace in Athens. She now lives with her husband in Germany and Greece.
- Author(s)Katherine Clark
- Date of Publication26/02/2009
- SubjectChristian History & Denominations
- Series TitleSimple Guides S.
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, colour illustrations
- Weight159 g
- Width109 mm
- Height168 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.