All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.20
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.58
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.19
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $96.28
- AU $19.03Trending at AU $22.17
About this product
- DescriptionThis collection documents and analyzes, from different angles, the forces and trends that shape contemporary India's socio-ecomic reality. The contributors comprise an eclectic group-spiritual leaders, grassroot activists, as well as eminent thinkers from diverse fields like the judiciary, social development, environment, education, contemporary science and art. In contrast to the dominant characterization of a Shining India in recent years, these articles present a complex and multi-dimensional reality, essential for a balanced, objective understanding of the issues that shape today's India and indeed the world. The Other India: Realities of an Emerging Power focuses on an India far removed from a country of glass and steel high-rises and air-conditioned schools; glistening malls and multiplexes; and fashion shows, Bollywood and T20 cricket. It explores issues like poverty and social justice; the role of religion in society-from inspiring struggles for social justice to instigating terrorism-the dangers of mindless destruction of nature, violation of human rights and the role of social action. Here dispassionate analysis of history and contemporary forces alternate with straight-from-the-heart narratives of grassroot activists. Candid despair shares space with encouraging stories of collective action bringing about real change. This compilation will hold tremendous appeal for the general reader and will serve as an indispensable reference for policy-makers, academics and thinkers working in the fields of sociology, religion, environment, education, human rights, law and justice, development issues and politics. It is a must-read for anyone trying to get a holistic picture of contemporary India's dynamic society and ecomy.
- Author BiographyRajesh Chakrabarti is a member of the faculty of finance at the Indian School of Business, Hyderabad, India. He is also a columnist for the leading national business daily, The Financial Express. He has previously taught at the College of Management, Georgia Institute of Technology, USA, and the University of Alberta, Canada, and has held various visiting positions, including those at the Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta, and the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta. Professor Chakrabarti's research interests include the areas of Indian financial markets, international fi nance, microfi nance, and political economy. He has published several articles in top academic journals, including the Journal of Financial Economics, Journal of Banking and Finance, Journal of Financial Markets, and the Journal of International Business Studies. He has authored two books, The Financial Sector in India-Emerging Issues and The Asian Manager's Handbook of E-Commerce and edited a recent volume titled The Other India-Realities of an Emerging Power. Professor Chakrabarti received his Post Graduate Diploma in Management (equivalent to MBA) from the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad and a Ph.D. in Management from the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA).
- PublisherSAGE Publications India Pvt Ltd
- Date of Publication21/08/2009
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationNew Delhi
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintSAGE Publications India Pvt Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight454 g
- Width139 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byRajesh Chakrabarti
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.