All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $86.07
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $23.02
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.16
- AU $26.15Trending at AU $26.53
- AU $35.37Trending at AU $37.50
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.93
About this product
- DescriptionThe discovery of gold and the prospect of easily acquired riches destabilized society in the Australian colony of Victoria. At Ballarat, one of the colony's principal goldfields, the collapse of previously adhered-to moral restraints and the presence of lawless behaviour was commonplace. Against seemingly insurmountable odds, a small but zealous body of clerics and schoolteachers endeavoured to counter the influence of immorality and crime by promoting virtue and honesty in children. As a social history, the book especially examines - to use the words of Reverend Thomas Hastie, an 1850s Buninyong preacher - 'the humbler classes'. The Other Rebellion is different to other history books, and uniquely appealing.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Keith Moore has a Ph.D. in History and lives in Brisbane where he lectures in History at Queensland University of Technology. Before embarking on a lecturing career, he was a schoolteacher and his understanding of the profession is evident in his examination of his schoolteacher subjects in The Other Rebellion. More recently, the author has written a number of articles and papers on Australian Society in the 1960s, and is currently writing a book on the institution of responsible government in New South Wales and Queensland in the 1850s.
- Author(s)Keith Moore
- PublisherPeter Lang AG
- Date of Publication01/12/2004
- SubjectRegional History
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintPeter Lang AG
- Content Note35 illustrations
- Weight280 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.