All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA fresh, nuanced perspective on a profoundly perplexing country: this is what Wallis Wilde-Mezzi's unique, captivating narrative promises-and delivers. The Other Side of the Tiber brings Italy to life in an entirely new way, treating the peninsula as a series of distinct places, subjects, histories, and geographies bound together by a shared sense of life. A multifaceted image of Italy emerges - in beautiful black-and-white photographs, many taken by Wilde-Mezzi herself - as does a portrait of the author. Wilde-Mezzi, who has written about Italy for nearly forty years, offers unexpected conclusions about one of the most complex and best-loved countries in the world. Beginning her story with a hitchhiking trip to Rome when she was a student in England, she illuminates a passionate, creative, and vocal people who are often confined to stereotypes. Earthquakes and volcaes; a hundred-year-old man; Siena as a walled city; Keats in Rome; the refugee camp of Manduria; the Slow Food movement; realism in Caravaggio; the concept of good and evil; Mary the Madonna as a subject - from these varied angles, Wilde-Mezzi traces a society skeptical about competition and tolerant of contradiction. Bringing them together in the present, she suggests the compensations of the Italians' long view of time. Like the country, this book will inspire discussion and revisiting.
- Author BiographyWallis Wilde-Menozzi lives in Parma, Italy, where for decades she has observed Italian life and participated in its dialogues. Her memoir, Mother Tongue: An American Life in Italy, was published in 1997 by North Point Press to critical acclaim.
- Author(s)Wallis Wilde-Menozzi
- PublisherFarrar, Straus & Giroux Inc
- Date of Publication01/05/2014
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFarrar, Straus & Giroux Inc
- Out-of-print date09/09/2015
- Content Note122 black-&-white illustrations
- Weight25 g
- Width133 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine25 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $132.35Trending at AU $138.02
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.32
- AU $32.93Trending at AU $36.29
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $47.53
- AU $30.90Trending at AU $31.55
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.06
- AU $44.28Trending at AU $50.95
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.