Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionIn a concise and colourful style, Saraiya Faroqui lays out the history of one of the most powerful empires of the Late Middle Ages and Early Modern era. At its height, the Ottoman Empire spread over three continents and matched the size of the Roman Empire, covering the territories of modern day Turkey, Iraq, Kuwait, Syria, Leban, Israel, Palestine, and parts of Greece.This text traces the political history of the Ottomans from the 14th century to the dissolution of the empires after WWI, and it employs a balanced approach that encompasses ecomic, social, and cultural history. The result is a unique, colourful picture of the Ottoman empire that depicts soldiers such as Mehmed II the Conqueror and the janissary corps; the wars with Persia, Russia and Venice; court life in Istanbul, including patronage of the arts; the role of the sultan as defender of Sunni Islam; the tax system; agriculture and trade; life in the cities and the country; the relationship between Europe and the Ottoman Empire; the rise of nationalism; and upheaval during the 19th century.
- Author BiographySaraiya Faroqhi, University of Munich and visiting professor at Harvard University, is author of several books on the Ottoman Empire, some of which have been translated into English, such as The Ottoman Empire and the World Around It. Shelley Frisch's numerous translations from German include most recently biographies of Einstein, Kafka, and Nietzsche.
- Author(s)Saraiya Faroqhi
- PublisherMarkus Wiener Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication15/01/2010
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationPrinceton
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMarkus Wiener Publishing Inc
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight478 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Translated byShelley Laura Frisch
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.