All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Oxford Handbook of Maritime Archaeology is a comprehensive survey of the field as seen through the eyes of nearly fifty scholars at a time when maritime archaeology has established itself as a mature branch of archaeology. This volume draws on many of the distinct and universal aspects of maritime archaeology, bringing them together under four main themes: the research process, ships and shipwrecks, maritime and nautical culture, and issues of preservation and management. The first section of the book deals with the best practices for locating, documenting, excavating, and analyzing submerged sites. This methodological foundation is followed by a sample of shipwreck studies from around the world as scholars trace the regional development of ships and seafaring. Chosen to balance the traditional core regions of maritime archaeology with important but lesser-studied areas, it aims at offering an international account of the study of submerged sites. Reflecting the growing number of scholars who study past maritime cultures, but t shipwrecks, the third section of the book addresses various aspects of the maritime landscape and ethgraphy above and below the water. The final chapters then approach maritime archaeology in a broader context, moving beyond archaeological sites to discuss the archaeological record in general within legal, preservation, and management frameworks. Taken together, these individual and original articles provide a valuable resource that summarizes the current state of the field of maritime archaeology and offers insight into the future of this established and growing discipline.
- Author BiographyAlexis Catsambis is Underwater Archaeologist, at Naval History & Heritage Command. Ben Ford is Assistant Professor of Anthropology at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. Donny L. Hamilton is Professor and Head of the Department of Anthropology at Texas A&M University.
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication12/12/2013
- Series TitleOxford Handbooks
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Note226 illus.
- Weight1816 g
- Width174 mm
- Height247 mm
- Spine42 mm
- Edited byAlexis Catsambis,Ben Ford,Donny L. Hamilton
Most relevant reviews
- berserkviking13 Jul, 2017by
This book was bought as a textbook. On a per word (or per kilo!) basis it represents excellent value, it gives a broad overview of the field of maritime archaeology around the world. Some chapters are a bit on the "dense" side while other chapters are great reading for anyone interested in the field. Highly recommended.
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.48
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.31
- AU $36.79Trending at AU $38.13
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.65
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.49
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.64
- AU $23.12Trending at AU $33.89