All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $31.72Trending at AU $33.69
- AU $19.98Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $26.67Trending at AU $29.78
About this product
- DescriptionViolence has always played a part in the religious imagination, from symbols and myths to legendary battles, from colossal wars to the theater of terrorism. The Oxford Handbook of Religion and Violence surveys intersections between religion and violence throughout history and around the world. The forty original essays in this volume include overviews of major religious traditions, showing how violence is justified within the literary and theological foundations of the tradition, how it is used symbolically and in ritual practice, and how social acts of violence and warfare have been justified by religious ideas. The essays also examine patterns and themes relating to religious violence, such as sacrifice and martyrdom, which are explored in cross-disciplinary or regional analyses; and offer major analytic approaches, from literary to social scientific studies. The contributors to this volume--invative thinkers who are forging new directions in theory and analysis related to religion and violence--provide vel insights into this important field of studies. By mapping out the whole field of religion and violence, The Oxford Handbook of Religion and Violence will prove an authoritative source for students and scholars for years to come.
- Author BiographyMark Juergensmeyer is Director of the Orfalea Center for Global & International Studies and Professor of Sociology and Global Studies at the University of California, Santa Barbara. Margo Kitts is Associate Professor of Humanities and Religious Studies at Hawai'i Pacific University in Honolulu. Michael Jerryson is Assistant Professor of Religious Studies at Eckerd College in St. Petersburg, Florida.
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication14/02/2013
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Series TitleOxford Handbooks
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight1292 g
- Width181 mm
- Height250 mm
- Spine46 mm
- Edited byMargo Kitts,Mark K. Juergensmeyer,Michael K. Jerryson
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.