All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe complexities of the brain and nervous system make neuroscience an inherently interdisciplinary pursuit, one that comprises disparate basic, clinical, and applied disciplines. Behavioral neuroscientists approach the brain and nervous system as instruments of sensation and response; cognitive neuroscientists view the same systems as a solitary computer with a focus on representations and processes. The Oxford Handbook of Social Neuroscience marks the emergence of a third broad perspective in this field. Social neuroscience emphasizes the functions that emerge through the coaction and interaction of conspecifics, the neural mechanisms that underlie these functions, and the commonality and differences across social species and superorganismal structures. With an emphasis on the neural, hormonal, cellular, and genetic mechanisms underlying social behavior, social neuroscience places emphasis on the associations and influences between social and biological levels of organization. This complex interdisciplinary perspective demands theoretical, methodological, statistical, and inferential rigor to effectively integrate basic, clinical, and applied perspectives on the nervous system and brain. Reflecting the diverse perspectives that make up this field, The Oxford Handbook of Social Neuroscience brings together perspectives from across the sciences in one authoritative volume.
- Author BiographyJean Decety, Ph.D., is Irving B. Harris Professor at the University of Chicago, with a primary appointment in the Department of Psychology and a secondary appointment in the Department of Psychiatry. He received his Ph.D. in Neurobiology from the University of Claude Bernard (Lyon, France) in 1989. John T. Cacioppo, Ph.D., is the Tiffany and Margaret Blake Distinguished Service Professor and Director of the Social Psychology Program at the University of Chicago. He received his Ph.D. in Social Psychology from Ohio State University in 1977.
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication16/12/2011
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Series TitleOxford Library of Psychology
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight2940 g
- Width176 mm
- Height256 mm
- Spine66 mm
- Edited byJean Decety,John T. Cacioppo
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.88Trending at AU $88.25
- AU $24.61Trending at AU $33.26
- AU $17.71Trending at AU $20.42
- AU $34.88Trending at AU $36.79
- AU $41.99Trending at AU $45.75
- AU $49.12Trending at AU $65.35
- AU $15.91Trending at AU $22.10
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.