Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.53Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.33
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.77
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.09
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.00
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $44.79
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $48.00
About this product
- DescriptionBritain possesses a literary heritage which is almost unrivalled in the Western world. In this lavishly illustrated volume, the richness, diversity, and continuity of this tradition are explored by a group of Britain's foremost literary scholars. It covers the whole range of English literature from Anglo-Saxon times to the present day with contributions from eminent scholars and writers in their respective periods. Generously illustrated in colour and black and white the pictures were chosen to illuminate and supplement the text. Written for both the student and the general reader. It includs helpful maps, detailed chrology, reading lists and a comprehensive index. At the heart of the volume towers the figure of Shakespeare, who is accorded a special chapter to himself. Other major figures such as Chaucer, Milton, Donne, Wordsworth, Dickens, Eliot, and Auden are treated in depth, and the story is brought right up to date with discussion of living authors such as Seamus Heaney and Edward Bond. The contributors: J.A. Burrow, John Pitcher, Philip Edwards, Brian Vickers, Isobel Grundy, Claire Lamont, Andrew Sanders, Bernard Bergonzi, and Martin Dodsworth.
- Author BiographyAbout the Editor: Pat Rogers is Professor of English at Bristol University. He is the author of numerous books and a regular contributor to the Times Literary Supplement and The London Review of Books. He is a former president of the British Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies and the Johnson Society.
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication01/12/1987
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Out-of-print date04/12/1992
- Content Notecolour plates, numerous black and white illustrations, maps
- Weight1592 g
- Width190 mm
- Height250 mm
- Spine36 mm
- Edited byPat Rogers
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.