Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.95Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.74Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionIncluding handy maps and photographs, this illustrated guide tells the story behind the many and varied plaques to be found adorning buildings, monuments and statues around the university city of Oxford.This is a unique publication, featuring the lives of the amazing Oxford men and women whose contributions to the arts and the sciences, as well as to the greater good of mankind, are commemorated around the city. Impeccably researched, this comprehensive book by an Oxford Blue Badge Guide provides a fresh and enlightening insight into the lives of such luminaries as J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Isaiah Berlin and Jane Morris, to name but a few. With fascinating biographical anecdotes on the eminent personalities to whom the plaques are dedicated, it will delight visitors and residents alike.
- Author BiographyElizabeth Jean Warr has been an Oxford Blue Badge Guide for the last14 years, with a particular interest in the hidden history of Oxford. She is responsible for the popular Magic, Murder and Mayhem themed tour listed in the Tourist Information walks leaflet, and also gives illustrated talks on the city and university. Jean's early career was spent working for author and journalist (and later MP) Winston Churchill, grandson of Sir Winston Churchill, followed by a stint on the Woman's and Travel pages of the Daily Telegraph.
- Author(s)Elizabeth Jean Warr
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/08/2011
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight250 g
- Width120 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.