All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis comprehensive handbook presents the major philosophical perspectives on the nature, prospects, problems and social context of age and aging in an era of dramatically increasing life-expectancy. Drawing on the latest research in gerontology, medicine and the social sciences, its twenty-seven chapters examine our intuitions and common sense beliefs about the meaning of aging and explore topics such as the existential experience of old age, aging in different philosophical and religious traditions, the place of the elderly in contemporary society and the moral rights and responsibilities of the old. This book provides invative and leading-edge research that will help to determine the parameters of the philosophy of aging for years to come. Key Features * Structured in four parts addressing the meaning, experience, ethics and future of aging * Comprehensive ethical coverage including of the retirement age, health-care for the elderly and the transhumanist life-extending project * Focused treatment of the dementia 'epidemic' and the philosophy of the mind and self The Palgrave Handbook of the Philosophy of Aging is an essential resource for scholars, researchers and advanced students in the philosophy of the self, moral and political philosophy, bioethics, phemelogy, narrative studies and philosophy of ecomics. It is also an ideal volume for researchers, advanced students and professionals in gerontology, health care, psychology, sociology and population studies.
- Author BiographyGeoffrey Scarre is Professor of Philosophy at Durham University, UK. In recent years he has taught and published mainly in moral theory and applied ethics. His books include Utilitarianism (1996), After Evil: Responding to Wrongdoing (2004), Death (2007) and On Courage (2010). He is a director of the Durham University Centre for the Ethics of Cultural Heritage.
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication18/03/2017
- Place of PublicationBasingstoke
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Note2 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight1015 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Edited byGeoffrey Scarre
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.06
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $23.77
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.22
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.12
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.23
- AU $30.78Trending at AU $34.76
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.93
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.