All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $73.29
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.81
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $70.75
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.44
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.95
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $58.60
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.55
About this product
- DescriptionThis book examines 'Southern Gothic' - a term that describes some of the finest works of the American Imagination. But what do 'Southern' and 'Gothic' mean, and how are they related? Traditionally seen as drawing on the tragedy of slavery and loss, 'Southern Gothic' is w a richer, more complex subject. Thirty-five distinguished scholars explore the Southern Gothic, under the categories of Poe and his Legacy; Space and Place; Race; Gender and Sexuality; and Monsters and Voodoo. The essays examine slavery and the laws that supported it, and stories of slaves who rebelled and those who escaped. Also present are the often-neglected issues of the Native American presence in the South, socioecomic class, the distinctions among the several regions of the South, same-sex relationships, and rms of gendered behaviour. This handbook covers t only iconic figures of Southern literature but also other less well-kwn writers, and examines gothic imagery in film and in contemporary television programmes such as True Blood and True Detective.
- Author BiographySusan Castillo Street is Harriet Beecher Stowe Professor Emerita, King's College London, UK. She has published extensively on writing of the Early Americas, Native American writing, nineteenth-century American literature, and the Southern Gothic. She is also a published poet and literary translator. Charles L. Crow is Professor Emeritus of English at Bowling Green State University, USA. His publications include A Companion to the Regional Literatures of America (2003), American Gothic (2009), American Gothic: An Anthology From Salem Witchcraft to H. P. Lovecraft (2012), and A Companion to American Gothic (2013).
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication27/08/2016
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationBasingstoke
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Notebiography
- Weight943 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Edited byCharles L. Crow,Susan Castillo Street
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.