All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Path of Humility: Caravaggio and Carlo Borromeo establishes a fundamental relationship between the Franciscan humility of Archbishop of Milan Carlo Borromeo and the Roman sacred works of Caravaggio. This is the first book to consider and focus entirely upon these two seemingly amalous personalities of the Counter-Reformation. The import of Caravaggio's Lombard artistic heritage has long been seen as pivotal to the development of his sacred style, but it was t his only source of inspiration. This book seeks to enlarge the discourse surrounding Caravaggio's style by placing him firmly in the environment of Borromean Milan, a city whose urban fabric was transformed into a metaphorical Via Crucis. This book departs from the prevailing preoccupation - the artist's experience in Rome as fundamental to his formulation of sacred style - and toward his formative years in Borromeo's Milan, where humility reigned supreme. This book is intended for a broad, yet specialized readership interested in Counter-Reformation art and devotion. It serves as a critical text for undergraduate and graduate art history courses on Baroque art, Caravaggio, and Counter-Reformation art.
- Author BiographyAnne H. Muraoka received her PhD in art history from Temple University, Philadelphia, specializing in Italian Renaissance and Baroque art, and in particular Counter-Reformation painting. She is currently Assistant Professor of Art History at Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Virginia, where she also serves as the Art History Program Director. She is a recipient of the J. William Fulbright Fellowship (Rome, Italy, 2006-2007) and a Summer Research Fellowship (2013) from the Office of Research at Old Dominion University. Among her publications are two lengthy contributions to Oxford Bibliographies Online. She has presented her research on Caravaggio, Gabriele Paleotti, and Carlo Borromeo at several professional conferences, including the Renaissance Society of America, Sixteenth-Century Society, and College Art Association conferences.
- Author(s)Anne H. Muraoka
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication30/05/2015
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Series TitleRenaissance and Baroque Studies and Texts
- Series Part/Volume Number34
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2015
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight630 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.79Trending at AU $65.19
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.53
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.86
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $110.99Trending at AU $112.12
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.