All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a penetrating reinterpretation and defense of Hegel's social theory as an alternative to reigning liberal tions of social justice. The eminent German philosopher Axel Honneth rereads Hegel's Philosophy of Right to show how it diagses the pathologies of the overcommitment to individual freedom that Honneth says underlies the ideas of Rawls and Habermas alike. Honneth argues that Hegel's theory contains an account of the psychological damage caused by placing too much emphasis on personal and moral freedom. Although these freedoms are crucial to the achievement of justice, they are insufficient and in themselves leave people vulnerable to loneliness, emptiness, and depression. Hegel argues that people must also find their freedom or self-realization through shared projects. Such projects involve the three institutions of ethical life--family, civil society, and the state--and provide the arena of a crucial third kind of freedom, which Honneth calls communicative freedom. A society is just only if it gives all of its members sufficient and equal opportunity to realize communicative freedom as well as personal and moral freedom.
- Author BiographyAxel Honneth is professor of social philosophy at Goethe University and director of the Institute for Social Research in Frankfurt am Main. His many books include Pathologies of Reason, Reification, The Struggle for Recognition , and The Critique of Power .
- Author(s)Axel Honneth
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication29/08/2008
- Series TitlePrinceton Monographs in Philosophy
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Weight257 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Translated byLadislaus Lob
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.11
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.45
- AU $31.43Trending at AU $36.86
- AU $30.95Trending at AU $34.21
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.82
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.28
- AU $18.81Trending at AU $22.17
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.