All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $73.29
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.81
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $70.75
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.44
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.95
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $58.60
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.55
About this product
- DescriptionDespite the abolishment of discriminatory policies that have historically marginalized many students from certain racial and ethnic groups, there are still groups in North America that continue to experience the lasting effects of this discrimination. One such group is South Asian boys. This book - grounded in twelve months of critical ethgraphic fieldwork at a secondary school in North America - attempts to fulfill three objectives. First, it examines how educators and educational leaders pathologize the lived experiences of South Asian boys or Brown boys , and how they engage in deficit theorizing discourses and practices. Second, it shows how Brown boys are complicit in the pathologizing of their own identities, which can exacerbate their disaffection and failure at school. Third, it provides all educators and educational leaders with alternative pedagogical, curricular, institutional, and relational approaches to t only understand the schooling experiences of disaffected South Asian male students, but to mitigate the factors that may exacerbate the disaffection of all miritized students.
- Author BiographyAnish Sayani (PhD in educational leadership, University of British Columbia) teaches in the faculty of education at UBC. He also consults for the Ismaili Tariqah and Religious Education Board (ITREB), Canada, in the area of educational leadership and teacher development.
- Author(s)Anish Sayani
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication29/11/2013
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleCounterpoints
- Series Part/Volume Number438
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2013
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight330 g
- Width150 mm
- Height220 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.