All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJews have long embraced their identity as the people of the book. But outside of the Bible, much of the Jewish literary tradition remains little kwn to nspecialist readers. The People and the Books shows how central questions and themes of our history and culture are reflected in the Jewish literary can: the nature of God, the right way to understand the Bible, the relationship of the Jews to their Promised Land, and the challenges of living as a mirity in Diaspora. Adam Kirsch explores eighteen classic texts, including the biblical books of Deuteromy and Esther, the philosophy of Maimonides, the autobiography of the medieval businesswoman Gluckel of Hameln, and the Zionist manifestoes of Theodor Herzl. From the Jews of Roman Egypt to the mystical devotees of Hasidism in Eastern Europe, The People and the Books brings the treasures of Jewish literature to life and offers new ways to think about their enduring power and influence.
- Author BiographyAdam Kirsch is a poet, literary critic, and the director of the master's program in Jewish studies at Columbia University. He is a also columnist for Tablet and a contributor to the New York Times Book Review and The New Yorker. He lives in New York.
- Author(s)Adam Kirsch
- PublisherWW Norton & Co
- Date of Publication04/11/2016
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWW Norton & Co
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight750 g
- Width168 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine35 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.25
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.80
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.96
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.27
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $36.07
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $50.46Trending at AU $57.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.