All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe first book to convey the full experience of what it was actually like to be pharaoh one of the most powerful rulers of the ancient world, Garry Shaw covers, through eight themed chapters, all aspects of the realities of pharaohs life, from mornings waking in the palace to evenings spent banqueting, with all his duties and activities in between. This vividly written and authoritative account provides new insights into key official ceremonies, including the accession and coronation, and the pomp and protocol of an audience before the king, and is supplemented by numerous box features, from the internal decoration of pyramids and the women who became pharaoh, to pharaonic pets, as well as quotations from contemporary sources and a complete king list with brief biographies of the major pharaohs. Beautifully illustrated with a wide range of images, most in colour, including temples and tombs, reliefs and wall paintings, jewelry and statues, line drawings and reconstructions, maps and plans, this book charts the development of a uniquely Egyptian vision of kingship, exemplified by the men and women who ascended the throne from mythical beginnings and the first ruler of a unified country, through rewned and supreme monarchs such as Khufu, Seti I and Ramesses II, to the decadence of the all-too human Ptolemies and pharaonic kingships last gasp under Roman rule.
- Author BiographyGarry J Shaw was born in 1981 and grew up in St. Helens, UK. He studied archaeology and Egyptology at the University of Liverpool, and afterwards moved to Egypt to teach for the American University in Cairo. He has lectured in the UK, Egypt, and Canada, appeared in documentaries, and currently teaches classes on Egyptian history, kingship, and mythology for the Egypt Exploration Society, London.
- PublisherThames & Hudson Ltd
- Date of Publication01/09/2012
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThames & Hudson Ltd
- Content Note234 illustrations, 172 in colour
- Weight1050 g
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.99
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.73
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.29
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.09
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.76
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $85.59
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.