All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Philokalia (literally love of the beautiful ) is, after the Bible, the most influential source of spiritual tradition within the Orthodox Church. First published in Greek in 1782 by St. Nicodemos of the Holy Mountain and St. Macarios of Corinth, the Philokalia includes works by thirty-six influential Orthodox authors such as Maximus the Confessor, Peter of Madascus, Symeon the New Theologian, and Gregory Palamas. Surprisingly, this important collection of theological and spiritual writings has received little scholarly attention. With the growing interest in Orthodox theology, the need for a substantive resource for Philokalic studies has become increasingly evident. The purpose of the present volume is to remedy that lack by providing an ecumenical collection of scholarly essays on the Philokalia that will introduce readers to its background, motifs, authors, and relevance for contemporary life and thought.
- Author BiographyBrock Bingaman is Assistant Professor of Religious Studies and Program Director at Wesleyan College in Macon, GA. Bradley Nassif is Professor of Biblical and Theological Studies at North Park University in Chicago.
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication23/08/2012
- SubjectChristian History & Denominations
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight560 g
- Width160 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byBradley Nassif,Brock Bingaman
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $132.35Trending at AU $138.02
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.32
- AU $32.93Trending at AU $36.29
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $47.53
- AU $30.90Trending at AU $31.55
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.06
- AU $44.28Trending at AU $50.95
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.