All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis textbook seeks to explore the purpose and values of the philosophy of education, and specific issues of contemporary relevance. Unlike many other texts on the subject, The Philosophy of Education: An Introduction is fundamentally about the activity of philosophizing and t about (mostly long-dead) philosophers. With this goal in mind, contributors have been selected who are capable of bringing the Philosophy of Education to life for the reader. All are respected as philosophers in their own right, and they write in an accessible and engaging manner. The chapters are t position statements that express one viewpoint at the expense of others; rather, they provide an overview of a topic, including reference to central concepts and discussion of major debates. Each chapter: explains and summarises the main concepts and discussions in a particular area of debate; includes extracts from philosophical writing, followed by questions that guide the reader to engage critically and actively with the text; refers, where appropriate, to current events or topics; and, ends with a bibliographic section that guides the reader towards further reading, and suggests next steps and more challenging sources, or counter-pointed arguments. The Philosophy of Education: An Introduction is primarily for students studying education studies and teacher education. It will also appeal to practising teachers who wish to engage with philosophical approaches to contemporary educational issues, and to educationalists who are looking for a succinct guide to philosophical perspectives on educational theory and practice.
- Author BiographyRichard Bailey is a writer and theorist on education and sport. A former teacher in both Primary and Secondary Schools and a teacher trainer, he has been a Professor at Canterbury, Roehampton and most recently Birmingham Universities.
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication04/03/2010
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight408 g
- Width189 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byRichard Bailey
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.95Trending at AU $73.98
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.37
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.79
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.13
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.04
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $44.80
- AU $46.35Trending at AU $48.02
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.