Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.42
- AU $27.80Trending at AU $30.93
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $26.96
- AU $29.33Trending at AU $32.03
- AU $71.12Trending at AU $80.38
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.78
- AU $25.16Trending at AU $27.13
About this product
- DescriptionWell kwn for the important role he played in the American Restoration Movement, Alexander Campbell was one of the most respected and influential religious figures of 19th-century America. Although Campbell's legacy as a religious leader and theologian has been widely ackwledged and documented, his contributions as a philosopher of religion have been largely neglected. The Philosophy of Religion of Alexander Campbell reintroduces readers to Campbell as a philosopher of religion and explores the philosophical basis for the views underlying his religious movement. It begins with a highly readable discussion of Campbell's role in antebellum American religion and proceeds to an exploration of his philosophical influences. J. Caleb Clanton then reconstructs, explains, and evaluates Campbell's philosophy of religion. He critically examines Campbell's unique, revealed-idea argument for the existence of God--that is, if God did t exist, we could t form the distinct idea of God. Clanton goes on to explore Campbell's defence of miracles, including the resurrection of Christ, and his responses to the problem of evil and the problem of divine hiddenness. The final and most speculative chapter collects and synthesises from scattered writings Campbell's view on morality and religion-- namely that there is morality without God--which has proven difficult to defend on philosophical grounds. With this book, the author makes a unique and important contribution to the literature of the Stone-Campbell movement. Clanton presents Campbell's views strictly in philosophical terms and evaluates them from a philosophical perspective without regard to religious apologetics. In doing so, he illuminates previously unexplored dimensions of Campbell and his work, both historically and theologically, and clearly validates Campbell's inclusion in contemporary discussions of the philosophy of religion.
- Author BiographyJ. Caleb Clanton is Associate Professor of Philosophy and University Research Professor at Lipscomb University in Nashville, USA.
- Author(s)J. Caleb Clanton
- PublisherUniversity of Tennessee Press
- Date of Publication30/05/2013
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Place of PublicationChicago
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Tennessee Press
- Weight454 g
- Width160 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.