Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.40
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.27
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.26
- AU $93.88Trending at AU $107.07
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.10
- AU $75.99Trending at AU $79.99
- AU $55.80Trending at AU $56.95
About this product
- DescriptionThis book provides a complete introductory course on the phonetics of English and Dutch based on an essentially practical approach to the subject. No previous kwledge of phonetics is assumed and all terms are explained in straightforward English as they are introduced. Theoretical and practical aspects of the subject are clarified for the student by means of numerous self-study exercises in articulation and transcription. The book contains a detailed contrastive description of British RP English and of Dutch (in both the Netherlands and Belgian standard varieties). In addition to a full description of the individual vowels and consonants, full attention is paid to features of connected speech, e.g. intonation, assimilation and elision, stress and articulatory setting. There are sections on sound-spelling relationships in English and an analysis of the commonest pronunciations errors in the English of Dutch-speakers. A guide to the technique of phonemic transcription is also provided, with numerous transcription passages for which correction keys are available. One chapter is devoted to differences between British and American pronunciation. Ather section provides a survey of a range of British regional accents (e.g. Scottish, Irish, Welsh, Northern, London, Midlands, West Country). Now available with corrections incorporating the reactions of Dutch and Belgian users.
- Author BiographyBeverley Collins, Doctorate in Phonetics, University of Utrecht (1988), is Lecturer in English at the University of Leiden in the Netherlands. Inger Mees, Doctorate in Sociolinguistics, University of Leiden (1983), is Associate Professor at the Copenhagen Business School, Denmark.
- Author(s)Beverley Collins,Inger M. Mees
- Date of Publication05/05/2003
- SubjectLanguage Learning (other than ELT)
- Place of PublicationLeiden
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight690 g
- Width16 mm
- Height24 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement3rd New edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.