All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $28.87Trending at AU $29.75
- AU $64.00Trending at AU $71.53
- AU $23.72Trending at AU $26.79
- AU $49.99Trending at AU $51.72
- AU $47.18Trending at AU $53.63
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $24.09
- AU $36.51Trending at AU $45.33
About this product
- DescriptionWith the addition of Ceres and Eris to our solar system, every library, school, and space-gazing, mythology-loving kid needs an updated look at the planets and the gods they represent. <i>The Planet Gods</i> is that volume: a new, reliable guide to the exciting recent developments in the world of astromy from the experts here on planet Earth. Distinguished astromer and writer Dr. Jacqueline Mitton takes us on a fascinating tour of the planets of our Solar System, taking into account all the latest reclassifications of the heavens. A lyrical, poetic text explores the features of the planets and compares them to the gods of old who are their namesakes. Though many of the planets were named long before we had good scientific information about them, Mitton draws readers attention to some amazing coincidences. The veiled goddess Venus lends her name to a cloud-shrouded planet. The blue, stormy planet Neptune is named for the god of the sea. <i>The Planet Gods</i> brings together for the first time the myths and truths of space science. Christina Balit s sparkling magical illustrations, highlighted with metallic ink, make this a fantastic gift book, which will enthrall children of all ages.
- Author BiographyDr. Jacqueline Mitton holds an M.A. in physics from the University of Oxford and a Ph.D. in astrophysics from the University of Cambridge. She works as a Public Relations Officer for the Royal Astronomical Society in England. She is the author of several books for children including <i>Zoo in the Sky: A Book of Animal Constellations.</i> Asteroid 4027 was named Mitton for Dr. Mitton and her husband, astronomer Simon Mitton. She lives in England.
- Author(s)Dr Jacqueline Mitton
- PublisherNational Geographic Kids
- Date of Publication15/11/2008
- SubjectChildren's General Non-Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintNational Geographic Kids
- Content Notecolour illustrations
- Weight318 g
- Width216 mm
- Height277 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Illustrator(s)Christina Balit
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.