All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe emphasis throughout this book, ideal for sixth form and early university students, is on Sophocles' tragic thinking, on the concept of the 'Sophoclean hero', and on the dramatic structure of the plays. The seven extant plays, Ajax, Women of Trachis, Antigone, Oedipus the King, Electra, Philoctetes and Oedipus at Colonus are assessed and a brief concluding chapter draws together what has been said in the seven studies. This second edition has been revised fully, with an updated further reading list and more detailed information on the chorus and staging of the plays. The aim of the book is to help readers to understand why Sophocles is still worth reading, or going to see in the theatre, in the 21st century, and to show how far Sophoclean scholarship has moved in recent decades from the once prevalent view that he was a pious religious conformist who had thing very profound or original to say, but who said it very beautifully. The volume is a companion to The Plays of Euripides (by James Morwood) and The Plays of Aeschylus (by Alex Garvie) also available in second editions from Bloomsbury. A further essential guide to the themes and context of ancient Greek tragedy may be found in Laura Swift's new introductory volume, Greek Tragedy.
- Author BiographyAlex Garvie is Emeritus Professor of Greek at the University of Glasgow, UK. He is the author of Aeschylus Supplices: Play and Trilogy (1969, 2nd edition 2006); of editions of Aeschylus' Choephori (1986) and Persae(2009); Homer's Odyssey VI-VIII (1994); Sophocles's Ajax (1998) and a companion volume to this book, The Plays of Sophocles (2nd edition, Bloomsbury, 2016).
- Author(s)A. F. Garvie
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication06/10/2016
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleClassical World
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Academic
- Weight157 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.29
- AU $30.86Trending at AU $34.85
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $15.71
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.26
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.52
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.