Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.34Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.30
About this product
- DescriptionWithin the Johannine narrative sequence, the gathering of the Sanhedrin, and its condemnation of Jesus, is a reaction to Jesus' sign of raising Lazarus from the dead. Unlike the syptics, where the council charges Jesus with blasphemy, the Johannine Jesus is condemned for doing signs capable of inciting unrest and the intervention of the Roman imperial authority. Thus it is to prevent the social-political consequences of Jesus' action, rather than the preservation of religious orthodoxy, that prompts the council to act. By shifting his condemnation from the religious to the political level, the evangelist also extends the ranks of Jesus' opponents to include the entire political leadership structure. In the light of the discussion on the context of the gospel, and applying the synchronic method, this work argues that the political undertones in the text point to the influence of the social-political realities of the time, and opens ather dimension to the understanding of the Fourth Gospel.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Born 1956 in Nto Ubiam, Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria, the author is a priest of Ikot Ekpene Diocese, Nigeria. After his ordination in 1984, and pastoral experience, he studied Biblical Theology and Inculturation at CIWA, Port Harcourt, and obtained an M. Th. He served as Bishop's Secretary before studying Biblical Exegesis at the Phil.-Theol. Hochschule Sankt Georgen, Frankfurt a.M., Germany, where he obtained his D.Th. 1999.
- Author(s)Camillus Umoh
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication01/05/2000
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Series TitleEuropaische Hochschulschriften Reihe 23: Theologie
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 696
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Weight440 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.