Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $19.44+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.35Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
About this product
- DescriptionThe first major anthology of poems whose subject is entirely horses, this collection by Olwen Way covers the whole spectrum of poetry. From the classical Greek and Roman writers to contemporary poets still making their name; from the rollicking sporting ballad to the subtle and gentle ode; from China to South Africa, from Australia to Scandinavia, every aspect of the poet's celebration of the horse is represented. In nearly 300 poems and extracts, the horse itself is also explored in detail. Its birth, its activities under saddle and between the shafts, it old age and death are all focal points. Different characters, both horses and horsemen, fill the pages, creating every mood from fun to satire to pathos, celebrating the beauty and bility of the horse and its great achievements over history. Here, there is something for everyone who loves poetry and who loves horses. A special feature of the anthology is that t only can it be dipped into, in common with other collections, but that it is arranged in such a way that it can be read from beginning to end, like a story or an adventure, as each poem is linked in subject, atmosphere or thought with the one which follows. With illustrations specially drawn for the poems, this book will be picked up again and again, to renew old acquaintances, to make new friends, and to satisfy all moods. Through its pages, the poetry lover will come to kw horses and the horse lover will come to kw poetry.
- Author BiographyOlwen Way was born in Lahore, Pakistan, in 1923. After the war she and her husband Robert ran a Thoroughbred stud near Newmarket and she has been involved with horses and dogs all her life. Olwen has had various of her own poems published over the years and was for a time an editor on a poetry magazine.
- Author(s)Olwen Way
- PublisherThe Crowood Press Ltd
- Date of Publication17/01/1998
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJ.A.Allen & Co Ltd
- Content NoteLine illustrations
- Weight540 g
- Width145 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byOlwen Way
- Illustrator(s)Belinda Sillars
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.