All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEduardo Halfon's The Polish Boxer is the sparkling English debut from one of Latin America's most exciting new voices. Blurring the boundary between fiction and memoir, the tales within all reach for the beautiful and fleeting, whether through humour, music, poetry, or unspoken words. Throughout his encounters with fascinating collection of characters, the narrator - a Guatemalan literature professor and writer named Eduardo Halfon - pursues his most enigmatic subject: himself. Translated from the Spanish by Daniel Hahn, Ollie Brock, Lisa Dillman, Thomas Bunstead and Anne McLean, Eduardo Halfon's The Polish Boxer is published by Pushkin Press. Eduardo Halfon was born in Guatemala and w lives in Nebraska. He has published ten works of fiction in Spanish and been recognized as one of the finest Latin American writers currently working. The Polish Boxer is his first book to be published in English. He recently received a Guggenheim Fellowship to continue working on his grandfather's story. 'The writing is tight and lean in these stories and there are exquisite moments (...) Falling somewhere between the vels of Roberto Bola, WG Sebald and Jut Diaz, The Polish Boxer is erratic, unusual and invigorating - and a book that should deservedly usher in further translations of his work.' Stuart Evers, - Daily Telegraph 'It's the most memorable new vel I have read all year - the voice pitch-perfect, the imagery indelible. What a wonderful writer' - Norman Lebrecht 'Halfon's English language debut is a glorious new addition to those decidedly n-fiction-ish works of fiction that keep getting us all worked-up these days...the result is a brave and touching and dead stylish examination of the nature of fiction, truth and lies wadays..' - Dazed and Confused '[Halfon] willfully and delightfully blurs the boundaries among vel, memoir and meditation...the power of The Polish Boxer is that it is always rooted in the personal. It is deeply accessible, deeply moving' - LA Times It is t often that one encounters such a mix of personal engagement and literary passion, of pain and tenderness' - Andres Neuman, author of Traveller of the Century 'We cant resist following the author/narrator by thinking of possible ways of deceiving him in return in a fascinating thriller. This is a stimulating and inspiring read.' - Emilia Ippolito, Independent 'The Polish boxer? There may never have been one. Yet this in way diminishes the pleasure Halfon's myriad stories afford.' -New York Times Listed Book of the Year 2012 by LA Times Eduardo Halfon was born in Guatemala and w lives in Nebraska. He has published ten works of fiction in Spanish and been recognized as one of the finest Latin American writers currently working. The Polish Boxer is his first book to be published in English. He recently received a Guggenheim Fellowship to continue working on his grandfather's story.
- Author BiographyEduardo Halfon has been cited as among the best young Latin American writers by the Hay Festival of Bogota and is the recipient of Spain's prestigious Jose Maria de Pereda Prize for the Short Novel. In 2011 he received a Guggenheim Fellowship to continue the story of The Polish Boxer, which is his first book to be published in English. He travels frequently to his native Guatemala and lives in Nebraska.
- Author(s)Eduardo Halfon
- PublisherPushkin Press
- Date of Publication25/10/2012
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPushkin Press
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Translated byOllie Brock,Thomas Bunstead,Lisa Dillman,Daniel Hahn,Anne McLean
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $30.61Trending at AU $31.89
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $84.92
- AU $29.93Trending at AU $31.44
- AU $46.04Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $12.75Trending at AU $13.19
- AU $19.76Trending at AU $20.49
- AU $30.90Trending at AU $31.41
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.