All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBased on extensive, empirical research, The Political Development of Modern Thailand analyses the country's political history from the late nineteenth century to the present day. Long kwn for political instability, Thailand was thrust into a deep state of crisis by a royalist military coup staged in 2006. Since then, conservative royalists have overthrown more elected governments after violent street protests, while equally disruptive demonstrations staged by supporters of electoral democracy were crushed by military force. Federico Ferrara traces the roots of the crisis to unresolved struggles regarding the content of Thailand's national identity, dating back to the abolition of absolute monarchy in 1932. He explains the conflict's re-intensification with reference to a growing chasm between the hierarchical worldview of Thailand's hegemonic 'royal nationalism' and the aspirations that millions of ordinary people have come to harbour as a result of modernisation.
- Author BiographyFederico Ferrara was awarded a doctorate in Political Science by Harvard University, Massachusetts in 2008. Since then, he has served as Assistant Professor at the National University of Singapore (Department of Political Science, 2008-10) and the City University of Hong Kong (Department of Asian and International Studies, 2010-current), where he teaches courses on comparative politics and social science theory and methodology. At City University, he also serves as Research Degree Co-ordinator, with responsibility for managing the department's PhD programme. His scholarly work on subjects including comparative political institutions, political parties and elections, contentious politics, and Thai politics and history has appeared in academic journals such as the American Journal of Political Science, the Journal of Conflict Resolution, the International Political Science Review, the Journal of Southeast Asian Studies, and Electoral Studies. Previous books include the co-authored Mixed Electoral Systems (2005), as well as the non-academic Thailand Unhinged: The Death of Thai-Style Democracy (2011).
- Author(s)Federico Ferrara
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication26/03/2015
- SubjectPolitics & Government: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note3 b/w illus. 1 map 4 tables
- Weight630 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.16
- AU $20.17Trending at AU $23.92
- AU $30.81Trending at AU $34.97
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.95
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.45
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.82
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $36.57
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.