All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDoubts about the ability of industrialized countries to continue to provide a sufficient level of retirement benefits to a growing number of retirees has fueled much recent debate and inspired a variety of recommendations for reform. Few major reforms, however, have actually been implemented. In The Political Future of Social Security in Aging Societies, Vincenzo Galasso argues that the success of any reform proposals depends on political factors rather than ecomic theory. He offers a comparative analysis of the future political sustainability of social security in six countries with rapidly aging populations--France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Using a quantitative approach, he finds that an aging population has political as well as ecomic effects: an older electorate will put pressure on politicians and policy-makers to maintain or even increase benefits.Galasso evaluates how each country's different political constraints shape its social security system, considering such country-specific factors as the proportion of retirees in the population, the redistributive feature of each system, and the existing retirement policy in each country. He concludes that an aging population will lead to more pension spending; yet postponing retirement mitigates the impact of this, and may be the only politically viable alternative for social security reform.
- Author BiographyVincenzo Galasso is Associate Professor of Economics at Bocconi University. He is Research Affiliate at the Centre for Economic Policy Research (CEPR), Research Fellow at Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research (IGIER), and Associate Editor of the European Journal of Political Economy.
- Author(s)Vincenzo Galasso
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication05/09/2008
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note37 illus.
- Weight385 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 18
Save on Textbooks
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $30.26Trending at AU $32.49
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.66
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $40.06
- AU $11.31Trending at AU $14.84
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.