Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.09
- AU $46.35Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
About this product
- DescriptionThe Politics and Poetics of Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz examines the role of occasional verse in the works of the celebrated colonial Mexican nun. The poems that Sor Juana wrote for special occasions (birthdays, funerals, religious feasts, coronations, and the like) have been considered inconsequential by literary historians; but from a socio-historical perspective, George Antony Thomas argues they hold a particular interest for scholars of colonial Latin American literature. For Thomas, these compositions establish a particular set of rhetorical strategies, which he labels the author's 'political aesthetics.' He demonstrates how this body of the famous nun's writings, previously overlooked by scholars, sheds new light on Sor Juana's interactions with individuals in colonial society and throughout the Spanish Empire.
- Author BiographyGeorge Antony Thomas is Assistant Professor of Spanish at the University of Nevada, Reno.
- Author(s)George Antony Thomas
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication10/09/2012
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleWomen and Gender in the Early Modern World
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight444 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Series Edited byProfessor Allyson M. Poska,Professor Abby Zanger
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.