All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionUnderstanding and demonstrating the effectiveness of efforts to improve the lives of those living in poverty is an essential part of international development practice. But who decides what counts as good or credible evidence? Can the drive to measure results do justice to and promote transformational change - change that challenges the power relations that produce and reproduce inequality, injustice and the n-fulfilment of human rights? The Politics of Evidence and Results in International Development critically examines the context and history of the current demands for results-oriented measurement and for evidence of value for money. The book looks at how organizations and individuals embrace, resist, adapt or comply with these demands. Practitioner case studies illuminate different sets of relationships in the aid chain, examining the impact of the demands for results and evidence on the pursuit of rights-based approaches and enquiring into whether the growing emphasis on upward accountability is trumping mutual learning. The book's challenging conclusion identifies power-aware strategies for development practitioners, enabling them to generate and use results and evidence for transformational ends. This book will inspire development professionals and organizations to cultivate their political skills. It will encourage them to play the results and evidence game to support their own, t someone else's agendas.
- Author BiographyRosalind Eyben is a Emeritus Fellow at the Institute of Development Studies, Sussex, studying power and relations in international aid. Irene Guijt is an independent consultant, Visiting Fellow at the Department of Forestry at ANU, Research Associate for the International Institute for Environment and Development in London and Research Associate for Overseas Development Institute. Chris Roche is Director of the Institute for Human Security and Social Change, La Trobe University, Melbourne, Australia Catherine Shutt is an independent consultant and tutor with the Institute of Development Studies and University of Sussex.
- PublisherPractical Action Publishing
- Date of Publication15/07/2015
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationRugby
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPractical Action Publishing
- Weight363 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byCathy Shutt,Chris Roche,Professor Irene Guijt,Rosalind Eyben
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.69Trending at AU $30.81
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.80
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $52.87
- AU $34.28Trending at AU $38.66
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.34
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.85
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.19
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.