All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhy do politicians run on a law-and-order platform even as crime rates are falling? Why does the public respond disproportionately to law-and-order soundbites and images in the media and on TV shows? At bottom, is crime a fixed reality or a social construction? This book is the foundational and rewned study of how politicians and others use crime rates-and most of all the public perception of street crime, whether or t it is accurate-for their own purposes. Dr. Scheingold also provides a theoretical and historical basis for his views, and compares mainstream theories of crime control, as well as conservative and Marxist explanations. The follow-up to the author's landmark 'The Politics of Rights, ' this book is both supported in research and accessible and interesting to readers everywhere. Features new 2010 Foreword by Berkeley law professor Malcolm Feeley. A work that is both timely and timeless, writes Dr. Feeley, it is important for what it says-and how it says it-about American crime and crime policy, as well as American political culture. It speaks truth to power today as much as it did when it was first published. As recently ted by Amherst College's Austin Sarat, Scheingold was quite simply one of the world's leading commentators on law and politics.
- Author BiographyStuart Scheingold taught generations of students as a Professor of Political Science at the University of Washington, and authored the acclaimed study The Politics of Rights, as well as 15 other books.
- Author(s)Stuart A Scheingold
- PublisherQuid Pro, LLC
- Date of Publication03/02/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintQuid Pro, LLC
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight345 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Introduction byMalcolm M Feeley
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.79Trending at AU $43.25
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $15.72
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $33.86
- AU $43.40Trending at AU $47.45
- AU $21.54Trending at AU $28.11
- AU $42.71Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $43.28Trending at AU $48.33
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.