All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book investigates new patterns of evasive delegation and dedistributive policymaking by the U.S. Congress, whereby Congress delegates its decision-making power to ad hoc commissions or implements constraints that compel it to make decisions within prescribed limits. Elected public officials seem unwilling to make, or believe themselves unable to be held responsible for, dedistributive policy. Thus, means are devised to actually make the decisions, while allowing elected officials to evade responsibility. The Base Realignment and Closing Commission (BRAC), which aimed to get politics out of military base closings, is a quintessential example of such means. At the heart of these considerations is the question of with whom or where responsibility should rest. The American people are left to decide whether to hold unelected and more or less unsupervised individuals, commissions, and the like responsible for their greater well being while officially elected individuals quietly cede responsibility.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Lilly J. Goren is Chair and Assistant Professor in the Political Science Department at the College of St. Catherine in St. Paul, Minnesota. She received her Ph.D. in political science from Boston College. She has published widely on the topic of U.S. military base closures, including The Comparative Politics of Military Base Closures and a chapter in the book The Government Taketh Away: The Politics of Pain in the United States and Canada.
- Author(s)Lilly J. Goren
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Series TitlePopular Politics and Governance in America
- Series Part/Volume Number3
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Out-of-print date13/12/2011
- Weight250 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.40
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.27
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.26
- AU $93.88Trending at AU $107.07
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.10
- AU $75.99Trending at AU $79.99
- AU $55.80Trending at AU $56.95
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.