All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $16.90
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.70
- AU $9.06Trending at AU $14.03
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.87
- AU $26.67Trending at AU $29.83
- AU $20.29Trending at AU $25.57
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.85
About this product
- DescriptionThis book analyzes the problems that arise when women's rights conflict with the views of conservative organized religion. Specifically, it addresses the legalization - or lack thereof - of divorce and abortion in three recently democratized Catholic countries: Spain, Chile, and Argentina. Offering a vital and timely contribution to political debates on democratic consolidation, social policy, gender, politics and religion, it challenges many of the accepted assumptions and conclusions in these fields, arguing that to understand the political dynamics and policy trajectories on these issues we must first analyze the distribution of both ecomic and political power. Merike Blofield moves the debate away from a (unitary) focus on values and public opinion to an analysis of how ecomic, social and political structures give certain actors more power than others. The topics covered should appeal to a broad readership interested in the difficulties of democratic consolidation in Latin America, and the obstacles to social policy reform in a region with such high levels of inequality. The analysis presented in The Politics of Moral Sin also deepens our understanding of why and how European countries have been so successful in limiting the indulgence of organized religion and in promoting women's rights.
- Author BiographyMerike H. Blofield is Assistant Professor at Grand Valley State University.
- Author(s)Merike Blofield
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication16/02/2006
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note14 black & white illustrations
- Weight498 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.