All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.19
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.99
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.45
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.54
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $22.31
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.48
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.72
About this product
- DescriptionEurope is entering a new political epoch. The centre--left, w in government in many EU countries, has struggled to modernize itself and is w defining the shape of politics for the future. Bodo Hombacha s book is one of the most important early attempts to flesh out the Third Way -- moving it from being a successful electoral project to become a governing philosophy. Hombach, one of Gerhard Schr dera s closest advisers, who was Minister of State in the Chancellora s office, is a colourful and controversial figure. He has been described as the a German Peter Mandelsona because he was the architect of Schr dera s election victory in 1997, which brought the Social Democrats to power after a decade and a half in opposition. His book, a bestseller in Germany, is the clearest definition of the popular a Die Neue Mittea project on which Schroder was elected, and on which the German voters will judge the government. It is striking in its bold rejection of many of the lefta s traditional approaches -- the confrontational traditions of employers versus workers, the private sector versus the public sector, free market forces versus state direction -- and this explains why Hombach and his book have been at the centre of the fierce debate about the soul and the future direction of social democracy. Professor Anthony Giddens and Mark Leonard, in the preface and introduction, put the book in the context of the global debate about the development of the Third Way, and also draw comparisons with events in the United Kingdom. Hombacha s book is destined to become a key text on the future of European social democracy, of interest to political activists, policy--makers and students of politics.
- Author BiographyBodo Hombach is Special Coordinator of the Stability Pact for South Eastern Europe.
- Author(s)Bodo Hombach
- PublisherPolity Press
- Date of Publication12/05/2000
- SubjectPolitical Science & Theory
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPolity Press
- Content Note0
- Weight456 g
- Width155 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine22 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.